Long lines of guests stretched outside the properties of the Galveston Historic Home Tour tour on Saturday despite the closure of Highway 45 at NASA Road 1 for construction. Tour organizers say they were very pleased with the turnout. "It's been a really great day--excellent weather, big crowds, happy customers," said Clay Wade, director of events for Galveston Hitorical Foundation.
Galveston Historic Homes Tour
Galveston Historic Homes Tour
Sunday, May 06, 2007
Tour tickets cost $25 each and can be bought at any of the houses on tour on the days of the event. To purchase tickets during the week before the second weekend of the tour, call 409-765-7834 or go online at www.galvestonhistory.org.
33rd Annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour Properties:
* an 1860 worker ' s cottage that has been transformed into a lovely island retreat
* an exquisitely appointed loft apartment in the Sergeant Building on Rosenberg
* the grand Bondies-Robertson Mansion, an Eastlake built in 1877
* a classic five-bay Gulf Coast cottage built in 1886
* the 1890 Liberty S. McKinney House, this year ' s restoration in progress
* the 1892 Henck Tenant House, a side-hall row house with double front gallery
* the 1892 Henry and Hazel Eimar House
* a renovated tenant house from 1905 with a grandly appointed interior
* a 1920 bungalow that was moved by GHF two years ago to save it from demolition
* the magnificent and mysterious Scottish Rite Masonic Cathedral
* In addition to showcasing renovated historic homes to the public, this year the Galveston Historic Homes Tour will feature a wide array of new, separately ticketed special events designed to offer homes tour guests more opportunities to enjoy the island ' s charms during their visit. Patrons will have two weekends packed full of both homes tours and related special events to choose from. GHF event organizers are hoping guests will be tempted to spend the whole of either or both weekends on the island to enjoy the wide array of new events being added to this popular annual tour.
2007 Galveston Historic Homes Tour Special Events
* Galveston Uncorked! A wine stroll in Galveston ' s historic downtown district. Saturday, May 12, 5 to 9 p.m. Tour starts at Grand Opera House. $35 in advance. $45 at the door.
* Linen and Lace: A Mother ' s Day Champagne Brunch and Fashion Show Buffet brunch, fashions by The Strand ' s Atrium Boutique, and performance by eight- and nine-year-old ballerinas from the Galveston Ballet. Sunday, May 13, $45 per person. Includes homes tour ticket.
* Artist Receptions for Pam Heidt, the artist who has been creating Galveston Historic Homes tour poster art for 20 years and who is retiring this year. One reception, open to homes tour ticket holders only, will be held Saturday, May 5, noon to 4 p.m. at the 1929 Scottish Rite Cathedral. The other will be held Saturday, May 12, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Emporium at Eibands. This reception will be open to the public.
* Miss Bettie Brown: Galveston ' s Daring Diva, an elegant evening of drama, period music and fine dining, Friday, May 11. With a dramatic presentation by actress Mary Margaret Buss and period music by acclaimed chamber pianist Felicity Coltman. $75 per person.
All proceeds from the Galveston Historic Homes Tour and related events go to support Galveston Historical Foundation's wide array of outstanding museums, innovative educational programs and award-winning preservation programs and services.