Galveston Historical Foundation is still tallying the numbers on this year's Historic Homes tour.
"We don't have final revenue totals from our Online ticketing service or from Kroger," said Molly Dannemeyer, who reported that 3,300 visitors toured the homes on the tour, noting that the attendance is down by about 15 percent from last year.
"However, our revenues for the event are up because of the sums we took in from our retail sales (Historic Galveston Rebirth banners, Hurricane Ike High Water Markers, framed Homes Tour poster art, etc.), Dannemeyer said. "We also had many more ticket sales at the gate than is usual--perhaps because the Swine flu scare left a lot of people leery of making plans in advance until they figured out whether they should or shouldn't go out to a large group event. Tickets at the gate were $25 instead of $20 in advance."
Dannemeyer said that the Swine Flu theory seems to be borne out by the fact that there were more visitors the second Saturday of the event than we did the first Saturday, "which has never happened before for Homes Tour in any of our memories".
She said that the Swine flu scare seemed to reach a crescendo about the Wednesday before the first weekend of Homes Tour.
Galveston Historical Foundation Executive Director Dwayne Jones was pleased with the preliminary report.
"Our visitor numbers were strong for both weekends of the Galveston Historic Homes Tour," Jones said. "It was another positive event for the island with guests coming, staying for several days, spending the night in our hotels, and visiting many of our Island's attractions, including the Beachtown Idea House--which had very strong attendance over the two Homes Tour weekends."
For GuidryNews.com coverage of the Historic Homes Tour Click Here