TxDOT PREPARES FOR ICY CONDITIONS
The Texas Department of Transportation’s Houston District is making preparations for the possibility of icy conditions on Friday night. On Thursday, starting at approximately 9:00 a.m., maintenance crews in Montgomery County, Waller County, and central, west and north areas of Harris County, will be spraying a magnesium chloride solution on bridge and overpass “hot spots” to prevent water accumulation from freezing. Crews are also in the process of preparing sanding trucks should they be needed Friday night/Saturday. Listed below are the “hot spot” locations:
● SH 6/US 290 overpass in Waller County
● North end of IH 45 in Harris County, continuing into Montgomery County
● SH 105 West, FM 1097, Woodlands Parkway connector at IH 45, US 59 North in Montgomery County
● Far west end of US 290 in Harris County
● IH 610 East overpass at IH 10 East in Harris County
Motorists should use caution if driving in these areas on Thursday while TxDOT crews and equipment spread the magnesium chloride. In the event of icy roads Friday night, motorists are urged to use caution on bridges and overpasses.
TxDOT will continue to monitor the potential for severe winter weather.