Skip Navigation Links
Front Page
About GNSExpand About GNS
Arts & Culture
Business/Industry
CommunitiesExpand Communities
EducationExpand Education
Entertainment
Links
Maritime
Medical News
Opinion/ForumExpand Opinion/Forum
Public Safety
Transportation
Weather


Jefferson County
Beaumont City Council
by Garrett Bryce
Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Beaumont City Council today voted unanimously to authorize City Manager Kyle Hayes to accept $1.507 million in funding through the Department of Homeland Security's Supplemental 2007 Port Security Grant Program, and enter into a memorandum of understanding with Jefferson County to facilitate the expenditure of the grant funds.

The grant provides 75 percent of the cost of projects to improve security at the Port of Beaumont.  The city will pay the remaining 25 percent through matching funds of $502,394.

The city council voted to award a $667,216 contract to The Garland Company, Inc., doing business as Design-Build Solutions, Inc., for the replacement of the roof at the Municipal Court Building.

"Replacement of the roof on the Municipal Court Building with a roof meeting wind code standards for a Category 5 hurricane will provide greater assurance that the building's roof will remain in place during a hurricane," Hayes said.  "During a disaster, the building's second floor converts to the city's Emergency Operations Center.  "The 24-hour 911 Dispatch Center is also stationed in the building."

The city will use funds from the 2007 Port Security Supplemental Grant to pay 75 percent of the project's cost.  The remaining $166,804 will be paid by the city.

The city council voted to approve a rate refund by Entergy Texas, Inc. contained in the company's statement of intent to adopt a new rate filed with the city on March 25.

"This new rate would mean a credit to Texas retail customers in an estimated amount of $117.5 million with interest over a four month period beginning May, 2010," Hayes said.  "These refunds will result from a redistribution of production costs by the Federal Energy Regulation Commission."

The city council voted to approve an application for and acceptance of new funding for the Southeast Texas Auto Theft Task Force.  The task force currently covers Jefferson, Orange, Hardin and Jasper counties, and includes law enforcement personnel from the Beaumont Police Department.

"Since the inception of the task force, motor vehicle thefts have decreased in Beaumont by 83.6 percent, from 1,721 in 1992 to 281 in 2009," Hayes said.

The grant application will be for a total of $1.128 million, with $605,366 being provided by the state, while the remainder will be provided through cash and in-kind matches from the city and other agencies.

The city council voted to authorize a three-party agreement with Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad and the Beaumont Independent School District.  The agreement is for the Bayou Willow Parkway Project, a three-lane roadway being construction to include an entrance for the school district's Multi-Purpose Center.  The roadway will also cross the railroad tracks.

All items were approved. All votes were unanimous with Council Member Jamie Smith absent.  Agenda




USO-Houston
Jim Guidry Commentaries


Guidry News Service is headquartered in Midtown Houston.
at 4001 Fannin Street, Suite 4432, Houston, TX. 77004-4077
(409) 763 NEWS(6397)         News@GuidryNews.com
© 1996, Guidry News Service. Duplication of any part of this website in any manner is prohibited.