The Houston Police Department Lake Patrol will have extra patrols on the water for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. Officers will be making contact with as many boaters as possible to check for anyone drinking while operating a boat, as well as equipment and operational violations.
Photos of today's enforcement initiative are attached to this news release.
Boating while intoxicated (BWI) is the same law as for operating a vehicle on land. A blood alcohol content of .08 or higher is considered legally intoxicated.
Some additional key boating safety tips are:
- Have enough personal floatation devices for everyone on board; and wear them.
- Children under 13 years of age must wear a personal floatation device at all times when the boat is moving.
- If you are going to drink, don't drive. Have a designated skipper for the boat.
- Personal watercraft need to obey the 50-foot rule and slow down to headway speed anytime they are within 50 feet of an object.
- Watch out for other boaters and slow down.
HPD reminds everyone to act responsibly to avoid tragedies on our waterways.