Smoking in Bed Causes House Fire in Northeast Houston
It appears smoking in bed was the cause a major fire to a home in the 3200 block of King about midnight, this morning, June 2, 2011. Firefighters arrived within four minutes and found heavy fire coming from the one-story home. The fire was tapped out within 20 minutes with about 30 firefighters responding. The fire caused about $75 thousand in structural and content damage. There were no reported injuries.
Although there were no injuries resulting from this fire, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), smoking materials (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.) are the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States.
Cigarettes can smolder for hours, starting a fire hours later. To help prevent such a tragedy, the HFD and NFPA recommend the following safety tips:
* To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You won’t be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
* If you smoke, smoke outside, however use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy surface.
* Before you throw out the butts and ashes from ashtrays, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
* Check under furniture cushions and in other places people smoke for cigarette butts that may have fallen out of sight.
* Always, keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.