TAACCL Artists’ Work Selected for UHCL Pearland Campus Founding Art Collection
Nassau Bay, TX—The work of six artists affiliated with The Arts Alliance Center at Clear Lake were selected for the founding art collection at The University of Houston-Clear Lake Pasadena Campus during a juried competition. A special reception was held in May to celebrate the artists and the installation of their work at the campus, located at 1200 Pearland Parkway, Pearland.
“We often say that for UH-Clear Lake, ‘Art Matters’,” said UH-Clear Lake Associate Vice President for University Advancement Dion McInnis. “The same can be said for the UH-Clear Lake Pearland Campus. We are pleased that the leaders and citizens of Pearland agree, and therefore we decided to invite members of the extended UH-Clear Lake family to help us declare the importance of artistic expression as part of the campus look and identity.” McInnis is also the President of the Board of Directors at The Arts Alliance Center at Clear Lake.
Of 33 submissions, 27 unique pieces were chosen to be part of the collection by five jurors, including TAACCL curator Debra Kendrick. “From many exceptional submissions, we found a strong and diverse collection that should serve the new campus well,” said Kendrick. “We thank all of the artists who submitted work for this purpose.”
Artists from Pearland, The Arts Alliance Center at Clear Lake, UH-Clear Lake, UH-Clear Lake Pearland Campus, Alvin Community College, San Jacinto College-South and public and private high schools in Pearland were encouraged to participate.
The six TAACCL artists whose work was chosen are as follows:
- Peter Janecke, TAACCL member, photography, “Fly Away” and “Sans Midriff;”Marlene Llanes, TAACCL member, oil on canvas, “Why;”
- Alexandra Nemeth, TAACCL member, UH-Clear Lake alumna, photograph, chromogenic pigment print, “Fall Color Fence Reflections” and “Wavy Reflections;”
- Laszlo Perlaky, TAACCL member, UHCL alumnus, photograph, chromogenic pigment print, “Midday Dance” and “Orange Dance;”
- Ana Ramos, TAACCL member, acrylic, “9th Symphony;”
- Sally Stubbs, TAACCL member, digital photography, “Leaves” and “Shadows.”
To experience the Founding Collection of Art at UH-Clear Lake Pearland Campus, visit http://www.uhcl.edu/Pearland/FoundingArt