Skip Navigation Links
Front Page
About GNSExpand About GNS
CommunitiesExpand Communities
EducationExpand Education
Links Directory
Medicine & Science
Opinion/ForumExpand Opinion/Forum
Public Safety

Public Safety News
Houston Fire Department
News Release
Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Barbeque Pit too Close to Combustibles Causes Fire


On Monday, July 4, 2011, the Houston Fire Department was dispatched to a home in the 12400 block of Oriole Lake Way about 1:30 p.m. and arrived on scene within six minutes. The southeast Houston home caught fire after the home owner used a barbeque pit too close to a plastic storage box. The fire then spread from the storage box to the exterior of the home, into a window and burned a couch. Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the fire which was quickly tapped out . The fire caused about $5 thousand in damage. There were no reported injuries.


HFD reminds citizens that portable barbecue pits, charcoal grills and other open flame cooking devices outside of a building should not be operated on combustible balconies or located within 10 feet of combustible walls or roofs or other combustible materials.


When igniting the barbecue charcoal, citizens should use a charcoal lighter, not gasoline. Gasoline can flash violently in and around the pit causing serious injuries to anyone in the area of the flash. A fire extinguisher or charged garden hose should be handy while the fire is burning. Check the pit frequently to insure that it is okay.


Hot ash and coals from barbecue pits and charcoal burners can smolder for hours. They should be placed in a non-combustible container until cooled or thoroughly saturated with water, before being disposed of.

Remembering Jim Guidry

Guidry News Service is headquartered in Midtown Houston.
at 4001 Fannin Street, Suite 4109, Houston, TX. 77004-4077
(409) 763 NEWS(6397)
© 1996, Guidry News Service. Duplication of any part of this website in any manner is prohibited.