Skip Navigation Links
Front Page
About GNSExpand About GNS
CommunitiesExpand Communities
EducationExpand Education
Links Directory
Medicine & Science
Opinion/ForumExpand Opinion/Forum
Public Safety

Public Safety News
Houston Fire Department
News Release
Monday, July 25, 2011

The Houston Fire Department was dispatched to a building fire with hazmat at NASA Johnson Space Center just after 9:30 a.m. this morning, July 25, 2011.

A battery was being tested inside a containment system.  The battery overheated and caught some of the insulation on fire.  Initially, it was believed that one of the bi-products of combustion could be dangerous so NASA issued a Shelter-in-Place for the facility.  Hazmat conducted air monitoring and revised the shelter in place to include only the building of origin.  The fire has been extinguished and the incident tapped out by District 71 just before 11:30 a.m.  One firefighter was injured when a hydrant cap blew off and struck him in the knee. There were no other reported injuries.

Remembering Jim Guidry

Guidry News Service is headquartered in Midtown Houston.
at 4001 Fannin Street, Suite 4109, Houston, TX. 77004-4077
(409) 763 NEWS(6397)
© 1996, Guidry News Service. Duplication of any part of this website in any manner is prohibited.