Director’s Awards presented to 17 heroic Texans
This week, Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Director Steven C. McCraw presented Director’s Awards to 17 individuals who displayed tremendous bravery and heroism in connection with two separate incidents.
The Director’s Award may be presented to any private citizen or personnel of another agency that gives significant assistance to a DPS employee in the performance of his or her duties.
“On behalf of the Texas Department of Public Safety, I would like to extend our sincere gratitude to these outstanding Texans,” said Director McCraw. “It is my honor to present awards to these heroes who have gone above and beyond to save lives, both civilian and law enforcement, in times of crisis.”
Water Rescue, January 8, 2011
On Tuesday, August 9, 2011, Director’s Awards were presented to three civilians in the Amarillo area. On January 8, 2011, DPS Highway Patrol Troopers responded to a call that two young girls had fallen into a partially frozen creek. The Troopers arrived on the scene to find that local residents had braved the icy waters and freezing weather conditions and the girls had been pulled out of the water to safety. Award recipients include:
· George Bentley: Mr. Bentley broke through the ice and waded into the water chest-deep to assist the girls. He was able to pull one of the girls to safety, and was later treated for cuts and hypothermia.
· Charlene Bentley: Mrs. Bentley called for help and directed first responders to the girls’ location as they arrived on scene.
· Dr. Eric Cox: Dr. Cox jumped in the water to rescue the remaining girl. After pulling her out of the water, he performed CPR and initiated medical treatment.
Officer Shooting, September 21, 2009
On Thursday, August 11, 2011, Director’s Awards were presented to 14 members of the Dallas FBI Safe Streets Task Force. On September 21, 2009, the task force executed an arrest warrant of an armed and dangerous bank robber, and a firefight ensued. A DPS Criminal Investigations Division agent was shot and critically wounded. Thanks to swift action taken by these individuals, the agent has made a full recovery and has returned to work.
Task force members who received awards include:
· George Arrieta, Detective, Dallas County Sheriff’s Department
· Glen Bradshaw, Detective, Dallas Police Department
· James Ellis, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· Michael Hillman, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· Mosezell Magee, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· Santiago Moya, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· Dennis Mumford, Detective, Dallas Police Department
· Marvin Ned, Detective, Dallas Police Department
· Jason Preece, Special Agent, FBI – Dallas
· Steve Sepeda, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· William Stone, Special Agent, FBI - Dallas
· Stacy Tooke, Detective, Garland Police Department
· John Wetherington, Special Agent, FBI – Dallas
· Anthony Winn, Detective, Dallas Police Department