HISD Office of Special Education Wants to Hear from Parents
Next in a Series of Parent Discussions to be held in October
The Houston Independent School District’s Office of Special Education invites parents of special education students to the next in a series of meetings to be held on Tuesday, October 4, 2011, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. The meeting will take place at the Hattie Mae White Education Center board room located at 4400 West 18th Street, Houston, Texas 77092.
“The input of parents from our last meeting prompted improvements for this school year,” said HISD Superintendent Dr. Terry Grier. “We want to continue to drive that type of progress for students with special needs.”
Actions taken since the May 5th, 2011 parent meeting include:
· Special Education Community Advisory Committee established for 2011-2012. First meeting will be held on October 11, 2011.
· Development of the Department’s Comprehensive Improvement Plan
· Dyslexia training for all special education evaluation specialists; 400 elementary special education and general education teachers and 334 secondary special education and general education teachers
Additional meetings at the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center (4400 West 18th Street, 77092) will be held on:
· January 12, 2012 from 9 a.m. ‘til noon
· May 5, 2012 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
To read the full independent study of HISD’s Special Education program click here or to visit the Office of Special Education web site click here.