At approximately 1:15 p.m. this afternoon, the Houston Fire Department responded to a grass fire near the 3500 block of White Deer Lane at Mirabeau in the Kingwood area. Currently, HFD has 14 units on scene. Atascocita Volunteer Fire Department is also assisting with the incident. There are no exposures at this time. HFD has requested two bull dozers and a water drop for the area. There are no reported injuries.
Despite the recent rain, the Houston Fire Department responded to about 20 reported grass fires this past weekend.
HFD recommends the following safety tips during this drought:
• Discard cigarettes or other smoking materials that can smolder for hours by completely dousing with water and discarding in a safe manner.
• There is a temporary ban on smoking in City parks. Violators can be fined.
• Check barbecue pits and grills frequently, keep water or fire extinguisher on hand
• Dispose of hot coals and ash in a non-combustible container until cooled or thoroughly saturated with water.
• There is a temporary ban on using barbeque pits and grills in City of Houston Parks. Violators can be fined.
• Park vehicles so that the exhaust system does not come in contact with dry grass, leaves, or weeds.
• Adjust safety chains on trailers to ensure they don’t drag and create sparks
• Notify your electric power company when dead trees or overhanging limbs endanger the electric wires.
Additional safety information may be found on the HFD website at www.houstonfire.org