Skip Navigation Links
Front Page
About GNSExpand About GNS
Arts & Culture
Business/Industry
CommunitiesExpand Communities
EducationExpand Education
Entertainment
Faith & Values
International
Links
Maritime
Medical News
Opinion/ForumExpand Opinion/Forum
Public Safety
Special EventsExpand Special Events
Transportation
Weather


Spacer Galveston Chamber of Commerce Welcome Valencia Huff Performs Bay Area Houston Dickens on the Strand 2011
Holiday Happenings
Moody National Bank Dannenbaum Engineering
Galveston’s East End Historical District
News Release
Wednesday, November 16, 2011

22nd Annual “Victorian Christmas” Homes Tour

 

Galveston’s East End Historical District Association will for the 22nd year host “A Victorian Christmas” Homes Tour on Friday, December 2, 2011. The architecture of the East End reflects some of the city’s most notable examples of residential Victorian architecture, a variety of styles and periods with the earliest being examples of Greek Revival style built during the 1850’s. This year’s tour will feature four East End homes decorated for the Christmas season. The event will be held from 6:00 – 9:30 PM. Also featured on the tour will be First Presbyterian Church , located at 19th and Church. The church has completed it restoration due to Hurricane Ike and has returned to its original splendor of 1873. The church construction was supervised by Galveston's well known architect, Nicholas J. Clayton, at a cost of $ 90,000 and was dedicated in 1899. Tours of the church and seasonal music will be provided during the evening.

 

Decorated homes on this year’s tour include the 1897 William F. Beers Home located at 1516 Ball. Architect Charles Bulger was commissioned to design this Queen Anne house that maritime insurance man, William Beers built for his family.

 

Located at 1616 Winnie is the 1886 Matilda V.Wehmeyer Home. Architect, Alfred Muller, designed the porch and balcony of this Classical Revival house for teacher, Matilda Wehmeyer. This home has recently been featured in the national restoration magazine “Old House Journal”.

 

Rebuilding her house after the devastating 1885 fire, Rosa Peete had architects redesign her house located at 1618 Church of brick and slate with a Mansard or “French” roof. The home was completed in 1887.

 

County treasurer, Allen E. Cameron, built his home located at 1126 Church. This 1891 house was built with an exterior stairway. Cameron also built the adjacent house for his mother, Mary Cameron.

 

Refreshments will be served at the 1898 East End Cottage located at 1501 Postoffice The Gustafson cottage was moved to this location as serves as a community center for the association.

 

The second edition of EEHDA's “East End Edibles” cookbook will be previewed and available for purchase throughout the evening at the “Cottage”. Favorite recipes from the association's membership is featured in the latest edition.

 

A limited number of tickets priced at $ 15.00 must be purchased in advance. Tickets will not be sold at the homes. Tickets are only available for purchase through the Grand 1894 Opera House by calling ( 409) 765-1894 or ( 800 ) 821-1894 or through their web site: www.thegrand.com. We look forward to sharing our neighborhood homes with you.




Null Lairson Victorian Condo Hotel
DLJ Studios Gleanings from the Harvest- Galveston Houston Tommorow Houston Maritime Museum Felis Navidad Center for Recycled Art


Guidry News Service is headquartered in Midtown Houston.
at 4001 Fannin Street, Suite 4432, Houston, TX. 77004-4077
(409) 763 NEWS(6397)         News@GuidryNews.com
© 1996, Guidry News Service. Duplication of any part of this website in any manner is prohibited.