HISD District V Trustee Michael Lunceford was unanimously elected Thursday to serve as 2012 President of the HISD Board of Education.
The father of two HISD graduates, Lunceford is a graduate of HISD’s Westbury High School and a Bellaire resident. Lunceford received a bachelor’s of science degree in petroleum engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 1981 and is currently the vice president of engineering for Pedernales Energy.
In his acceptance speech, Lunceford said he chose to wear a neck tie adorned with the images of children, instead of a more traditional “power” tie, to send a message.
“We’re here for the kids. That’s what we need to focus on this year,” Lunceford said. “The power of the kids is going to empower us to do what’s right.”
Lunceford and the rest of the Board also took time to recognize Trustee Paula Harris for her service as president in 2011, presenting her with a plaque acknowledging her “outstanding leadership and advocacy on behalf of Houston’s school children.”
Other Board of Education officers for 2012 are:
· Anna Eastman, First Vice President
· Juliet Stipeche, Second Vice President
· Rhonda Skillern-Jones, Secretary
· Greg Meyers, Assistant Secretary
Also Thursday, trustees adopted the 2012-2013 school year calendar. Key dates in the calendar include:
· August 20, 2012 (First day of school for selected priority schools)
· August 27, 2012 (First day of school for most HISD campuses)
· November 21-23, 2012 (Thanksgiving break)
· December 24, 2012 – January 4, 2013 (Winter break)
· March 11-15, 2013 (Spring break)
· June 6, 2013 (Last day of instruction)