The Houston Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire in the 2500 block of Milwaukee in northwest Houston about 6:30 p.m. last night, January 30, 2012. Firefighters arrived on scene within five minutes and found light smoke coming from the one-story home. A resident had left cooking food unattended. A smoke detector alerted the resident to the fire. Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the incident which was tapped out in a few minutes. The fire caused about $9 thousand in damage. There were no reported injuries.
HFD reminds residents that cooking is the number one cause of residential fires and is preventable by following these safety tips: