Galveston Mardi Gras Marathon Returns this Sunday
Read on for a List of City Street Closures & Traffic Advisories
Galveston, Texas – This weekend, Galveston Island welcomes area athletes competing in the Galveston Mardi Gras Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday, February 5. The course takes runners through several of the Island’s premiere areas including the charming Strand and Silk Stocking historic districts, the Seawall and beachfront, and the scenic East End lagoon. For more event details please visit http://www.galvestonmardigrasmarathon.com/.
Street & Traffic Lane Closures:
- No Parking signs will be placed along the race route beginning Saturday, February 4.
- Crews will begin closing lanes and roadway access at 4:30AM on Sunday, February 5.
- Cones and barricades will remain in place until the 1:30PM on Sunday, February 5.
- Cones will be placed in traffic lanes along the race route to alert drivers that athletes may be sharing the lane with them.
- Along Seawall eastbound: the right traffic lane and the parking lane will be closed 45th Street to East Beach Drive.
- The west bound right lane from Apffel Park Road and Seawall to University and Seawall will be closed.
- Strand Street between 21st and 24th Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic 6AM – 1PM.
- The marathon’s course will start and end at Saengerfest Park at Strand and 23rd Street.