Galveston’s Landmark Commission Presents Annual Awards
Property Owners Recognized for Commitment to Historical Preservation
Galveston, Texas – The City of Galveston Landmark Commission recently presented their annual Residential and Commercial Rehabilitation Awards. Each year commissioners recognize restoration projects located within the boundaries of the Island’s historic districts that exemplify the property owner’s dedication to historic preservation.
- Commercial Award winner within a Neighborhood Historic District:
424 19th St/1828 Postoffice – Galveston Bible Church
- Commercial Award winner within the Strand/Mechanic District:
2201 Strand – MBP Corporation
- Residential Award winner in the Historic District:
1724 Ave K – James Heath
- Residential Award winner in the Neighborhood Conservation District:
1507 20th Street – John and Lenore Walker
- Award for Community Contribution to Historic Preservation:
Galveston Island Tree Conservancy – replanting medians, 15th – 20th Street, on Broadway within the East End National Landmark District as well as replanting medians, 24th – 26th, and contribution of matching funding for the Preserve America grant to develop the Broadway Landscape Rehabilitation and Maintenance Plan.
The Landmark Commission oversees four historic districts: the East End Historic District; the Silk Stocking Historic District; the Strand/Mechanic Historic District; and the Lost Bayou Historic District. Combined these four districts comprise nearly 15% of the Island’s historic structures. Citizens currently serving on the board include Michael Culpepper, Greg Lewis, Russell Mertens, Charlotte O'Rourke, Joe Rozier, Nelson Smelker, Linda Strevell, Thomas Schwenk, and Judy Wilkie. Landmark Commission Chairman Michael Culpepper’s remarks, along with a photo presentation of the 2012 award recipient properties, are available online at the City’s website, http://www.cityofgalveston.org/city_council/power_point_presentations.cfm.