South Houston Branch Library Reopening Ceremony: September 13, 2012
Precinct 2 Commissioner Jack Morman to host event celebrating the renovation and expansion of Harris County Public Library’s South Houston Branch
Houston – Harris County Precinct 2 Commissioner Jack Morman and Harris County Public Library will celebrate the reopening after extensive renovations of South Houston Branch Library on September 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
The grant-funded renovations are the first undertaken since the library moved to its current location over twenty years ago, and include new furnishings, carpet, and paint, as well as the addition of a large computer lab in which the library will offer free computer classes to the public.
While this latest incarnation of South Houston Branch Library looks squarely toward the future, it has deep roots in the community. The seed was planted in 1927, when Margaret Black began lending books out of the local jail. Ten years later, the library moved into a small frame building which still stands in nearby Avenue A Park. The library moved two more times before landing in its current building in 1991 which was the result of the cooperative effort of Harris County, The City of South Houston and the Harris County Community Development Agency.
In addition to Commissioner Morman, officials of both the County and the City of South Houston will be in attendance. The public is cordially invited.
South Houston Branch Library is located at 607 Avenue A, South Houston TX, 77587. For more information about the event, please call (281) 488-4678.